Revitalizing the Engineering Mathematics curriculum and teaching practices
- Professor Micah Stickel, Vice-Dean, First-Year Engineering, Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
- Professor Chirag Variawa, Director, First-Year Curriculum, Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
- Professor Alana Boland, Associate Dean, Teaching and Learning, Faculty of Arts & Science
- Professor Jeremy Quastel, Chair, Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Arts & Science
- Professor Bernardo Galvao-Sousa, Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Arts & Science
The Faculties of Arts & Science and Applied Science & Engineering have partnered to transform engineering math education by focusing on two areas: incorporating engineering applications across first-year math courses and enhancing course instructor and Teaching Assistant (TA) training for the delivery of first-year math courses, including training in active-learning techniques.
The project will support this effort through creating a new teaching post-doctoral fellow position and lead TA positions. These individuals will work with project team leaders from the Faculties of Applied Science & Engineering and Arts & Science to examine best practices in engineering mathematics education, including identifying approaches to incorporating engineering applications within math courses.