The focus of the Learning and Education Advancement Fund (LEAF) program is to enrich the learning experience of undergraduate students in first-entry Divisions across the University and to provide academic units with a mechanism for developing and enhancing the research, assessment, and application of high-impact teaching practices within learning environments at the University. The Fund is intended to support projects that will anticipate, leverage and create positive changes in both the modes and mechanisms of undergraduate education at the University of Toronto.
The LEAF program aims to support the President’s Three Priorities, listed below:
- Leverage our urban location more fully, for the mutual benefit of university and city
- Strengthen and deepen key international partnerships: well-defined strategic focus
- Re-imagine and re-invent undergraduate education
LEAF supports two streams of activities; Seed ($5,000-$15,000 per year) and Impact ($15,000-$100,000 per year). This two-tiered system is intended to provide opportunities for teaching and learning projects that explore, implement and scale up promising practices at different stages of their development and implementation, and creates a pathway for projects from their initial inception to their full potential. Both tiers of grants are intended to be completed within 1 to 3 years.
LEAF grants are reviewed by a committee of senior faculty with significant experience implementing and evaluating teacing and learning-related projects, particularly those that focus on pedagogy and curricular design. The Selection Committee is comprised of tenure- and teaching-stream faculty members includes:
- Vice-Provost, Innovations in Undergraduate Education – Chair
- Director, Centre for Teaching Support & Innovation
- 4 Faculty representatives, two of which shall be members of the President’s Teaching Academy
The Learning and Advancement of Education Fund is sponsored by the Office of the Vice-Provost, Innovations in Undergraduate Education.
For additional information regarding the Fund or other ideas relating to the portfolio, please contact email@example.com.